Tech women place eighth at OVC Championship; Sanga earns All-OVC first team honors
Oct 28, 2017
By Layne Weitzel, TTU Sports Information
CHARLESTON, Ill. – Tennessee Tech women's cross country opened its postseason at the OVC Championship on Saturday morning, competing alongside the 11 other conference teams in the 5k race at host Eastern Illinois' Panther Trail Course.
Tech scored 218 points to finish eighth in the team competition.
FINAL TEAM STANDINGS
1. Eastern Kentucky (15 points) – No. 21 in the USTFCCCA National Coaches' Poll
2. Belmont (80 points) – No. 10 in the South Region
3. Eastern Illinois (107 points)
4. Southeast Missouri (116 points)
5. UT Martin (137 points)
6. Murray State (167 points)
7. SIUE (175 points)
8. TENNESSEE TECH (218 points)
9. Morehead State (219 points)
10. Austin Peay (279 points)
11. Jacksonville State (336 points)
12. Tennessee State (354 points)
Individually, OVC Women's Freshman of the Year Purity Sanga was the top finisher for Tech and the top freshman of all 12 OVC teams. She placed sixth behind Eastern Kentucky's core of five runners, timing a career-best 17:31.0.
Sanga's finish earned her a spot on the All-OVC first team. She is the only runner not from Eastern Kentucky and only freshman on the list.
Micayla Rennick followed in 27th place, clocking a season-best time of 18:15.7.
Sharnique Leonce closed the race out for Tech in 97th with a time of 27:26.7.
Tech will have the opportunity to qualify individual runners for the NCAA Championship at the NCAA South Regional on Saturday, Nov. 11. The South Regional will be hosted in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, by the University of Alabama.