By Layne Weitzel, TTU Sports Information
RICHMOND, Ky. – Tennessee Tech volleyball wraps up a three-match road trip with two conference meetings this weekend, facing Eastern Kentucky on Friday, Sept. 29 and Morehead State on Saturday, Sept. 30.
Tech is seeking its first win in OVC play this season, falling to Jacksonville State 3-0 at home in its conference opener and at UT Martin 3-1 last week.
The Golden Eagles met Eastern Kentucky twice in the 2016 season, defeating the Colonels 3-1 on Sept. 23 and falling 3-0 on Oct. 29 in Richmond. Tech lost both Morehead State matches 3-0 and 3-1. According to Tech records, Eastern Kentucky leads the all-time series 54-22, while Morehead State leads 60-22.
A LOOK AT EASTERN KENTUCKY/MOREHEAD STATE
Eastern Kentucky Colonels (3-13, 1-1 OVC)
- 2016 overall record: 15-15
- 2016 OVC record: 9-7 (fell to No. 1 seed Murray State 3-1 in the OVC Tournament semifinals)
- Predicted 2017 OVC finish: 5th/12 teams
- Notes: Preseason All-OVC selection Rachel Woody, the Colonels' sophomore setter, ranks seventh in the league with 7.10 assists per set.
Morehead State Eagles (9-6, 0-2 OVC)
- 2016 overall record: 11-20
- 2016 OVC record: 7-9 (fell to No. 2 seed SIUE 3-0 in the OVC Tournament first round)
- Predicted 2017 OVC finish: 7th/12 teams
- Notes: The Eagles have played tough both offensively and defensively so far this season – they rank third in the OVC with a .220 team hitting percentage, third with a .171 opponent hitting percentage and second with 2.18 blocks per set. Junior middle blocker Maddie Fella leads the conference with an average of 1.23 blocks per set.