By Layne Weitzel, TTU Sports Information
COOKEVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee Tech volleyball begins the bulk of its 2017 schedule this week, welcoming Jacksonville State to the Hooper Eblen Center on Thursday, Sept. 21 at 4 p.m. CT and heading out of town to UT Martin on Friday, Sept. 22.
This pair of matches marks Tech's first in Ohio Valley Conference play, and the Jacksonville State match-up opens the home portion of its schedule. Friday's tilt with UT Martin will start a three-match streak of away contests for Tech.
The Golden Eagles last met the Gamecocks in their penultimate match of the 2016 season, when Tech fell at Jacksonville State in three sets. Tech will look to improve its 11-20 all-time record against JSU.
Tech won its lone 2016 meeting with UT Martin 3-1 at home and boasts a 38-22 advantage in the series historically.
PROMOTIONS vs. Jacksonville State
- PlayStation 4 giveaway – Tech students sitting in the student section will be eligible to win a PS4 during the match's intermission.
- Free pizza – If a group of four spectators signs up during either the first or second set, it will receive a free pizza during the third set.
- 2016 overall record: 18-19
- 2016 OVC record: 6-10 (fell to No. 1 seed Murray State 3-0 in the OVC Tournament)
- Predicted 2017 OVC finish: 6th/12 teams
- Notes: Preseason All-OVC selection Mackenzie Rombach, a junior middle blocker, leads JSU with a .318 hitting percentage (2.57 kills per set) and 49 total blocks (0.82 blocks per set).
UT Martin Skyhawks (6-7)
- 2016 overall record: 9-22
- 2016 OVC record: 5-11
- Predicted 2017 OVC finish: 12th/12 teams
- Notes: Preseason All-OVC selection Jemima Idemudia has started all 13 Skyhawk matches and averages 2.79 kills per set. The senior middle blocker has also collected 47 total blocks.