By Layne Weitzel, TTU Sports Information
TOLEDO, Ohio – Tennessee Tech volleyball makes its third and final trek to the state of Ohio this weekend to close the nonconference portion of its season at Toledo's Blue/Gold Invitational.
Like last week's schedule at the Holiday Inn Invitational, Tech plays a double-header Friday, with its match vs. Toledo set for 11 a.m. CT and Youngstown State at 4 p.m. CT. Its final nonconference tilt will be Saturday at 11 a.m. CT vs. New Mexico.
Tech last faced Toledo in 2009 and stands at 2-1 in the two teams' all-time series. Tech is undefeated in its meetings with Youngstown State and has never played New Mexico.
A LOOK AT THE BLUE/GOLD INVITATIONAL PARTICIPANTS
New Mexico Lobos (6-3)
- 2016 overall record: 16-16
- 2016 conference (Mountain West) record: 6-12
- Predicted 2017 Mountain West finish: 9th/11 teams
- Notes: New Mexico ranks second in the Mountain West with 458 digs through 29 sets, averaging 15.79 digs per set.
Toledo Rockets (3-6)
- 2016 overall record: 16-14
- 2016 conference (MAC) record: 8-8
- Predicted 2017 MAC finish: 4th (in West Division)/6 teams
- Notes: Preseason West All-MAC Team selection Maurissa Leonard ranks third in the MAC with 181 digs and averages 4.76 per set. Her 40 digs vs. Marshall last Saturday tied for third-most nationally this year.
Youngstown State Penguins (5-6)
- 2016 overall record: 8-22
- 2016 conference (Horizon League) record: 2-14
- Predicted 2017 Horizon League finish: 9th/9 teams
- Notes: The Penguins are tops in the Horizon League with 68 service aces in 41 sets, averaging 1.66 per set. Senior outside hitter Sam Brown has 19 of the 68.
These three matches mark Tech's last opportunity to tune up before Ohio Valley Conference play, which will begin Thursday, Sept. 21. Here's where the Golden Eagles stand statistically in the OVC three weeks into the 2017 season:
- Shaneice James ranks 10th in hitting percentage (.257 on 105 attempts)
- Shealene Little ranks fourth in kills per set (3.32 with 93 total)
- Susie Jeziorowski ranks third in assists per set (9.50 with 266 total)
- Allison Morrett ranks eighth in digs per set (3.96 with 111 total)
- Tech ranks fifth in hitting percentage (.205 on 949 attempts)
- Tech ranks sixth in kills per set (12.36 with 346 total)