MARTIN, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Tech women's tennis team waged a battle with UT Martin Tuesday afternoon, forcing several tie-breakers, but every point went to the host Skyhawks who claimed the 7-0 victory.
Tech (1-8 overall/1-4 OVC) will play a non-conference match at
Memphis Wednesday at 11 a.m., before returning home to host a pair
of contests this weekend. Tech hosts SIU Edwardsville Friday at 11
a.m. and Murray State in a conference affair Saturday at 11
On Tuesday, the Skyhawks claimed the doubles point with wins at the top two spots. At No. 3, Laura Porras and Diana Woodcock took things to the limit before faling, 8-7 (1-0).
Tech forced tie-breakers at four of the six singles matches, including a marathon match at No. 4 where UTM's Johanie Van Zyl defeated freshman Victoria Cran (pictured above), 0-6, 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (13-11).
Leydi Zora took the No. 1 match into three sets after winning the middle contest. Jodie Tiley finally prevailed, 6-1, 6-7 (1-0), 6-2.
Diana Woodcock got the first set at No. 2 in a tie-breaker, 7-6 (5-0), but Marie Wahl rebounded to win the next two sets, 6-4 and 7-5.
The other tie-break came at No. 5 singles, where Belisa deBrito
outlasted Laura Porras, 6-4, 7-6 (4-0).
Tennessee Tech vs UT Martin / March 30, 2010 at Martin, Tenn.
(Skyhawk Varsity Courts)
UT Martin 7, Tennessee Tech 0
1. TILEY, Jodie (UTMW) def. ZORA, Leydi (TTU) 6-1, 6-7 (1-0), 6-2
2. WAHL, Martie (UTMW) def. WOODCOCK, Diana (TTU) 6-7 (0-5), 6-4, 7-5
3. WINKELMANN, Anna (UTMW) def. KAHL, Frederike (TTU) 6-0, 6-4
4. VAN ZYL, Johanie (UTMW) def. CRAN, Victoria (TTU) 0-6, 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (13-11)
5. de BRITO, Belisa (UTMW) def. PORRAS, Laura (TTU) 6-4, 7-6 (4-0)
6. HERBOLD, Anna Marie (UTMW) def. CORKERN, Joanna (TTU) 6-1, 6-2
1. TILEY, Jodie/LAING, Alice (UTMW) def. CRAN, Victoria/KAHL, Frederike (TTU) 8-4
2. de BRITO, Belisa/WAHL, Martie (UTMW) def. ZORA, Leydi/BARNHILL, Katie (TTU) 8-1
3. WINKELMANN, Anna/HERBOLD, Anna Marie (UTMW) def. PORRAS, Laura/WOODCOCK, Diana (TTU) 8-7 (1-0)
Tennessee Tech: 1-8 (1-4 OVC)
UT Martin: 6-4 (3-1 OVC)