Match decided in doubles as Golden Eagle women fall 4-3 at EIU
DANVILLE, Ill. -- Tennnessee Tech and Eastern Illinois split
their singles points Sunday afternoon, and went to doubles action
before the host Panthers prevailed, 4-3, in Ohio Valley Conference
action at the Danville Indoor Tennis Center.
The Golden Eagles remain on the road to play at Southeast Missouri Tuesday afternoon.
With three victories in the bank in singles play, Laura Porras
nearly got the Golden Eagles out of town with a victory at No. 4
singles. The sophomore came bouncing back from a 6-4 loss in the
first set to roll to a 6-0 win in the second set, then went to a
tie-breaker in the the third before falling, 7-6.
Tech had wins at No. 1 from Leydi Zora, No. 2 from Diana Woodcock, and No. 5 by Victoria Cran, each winning her point in straight sets. Zora downed Amanda Dibbs, 7-5, 6-3; Woodcock took the measure of Shannon Brooks, 7-5, 7-5, and Cran posted a 6-2, 6-3 win over Juliana Frey.
EIU got points from Merritt Whitley at No. 4 in the marathon match with Porras, plus a 6-2, 6-4 win by Cara Huck over Frederike Kahl at No. 3, 6-2, 6-4, and a 6-1, 6-3 decision at No. 6 when Annie Egan topped Katie Barnhill.
The match opened with singles since it was moved indoors to the Danville venue. However, when neither team gained the upper hand after singles, the doubles teams took the courts.
Tech combo of Kahl and Cran claimed an 8-6 victory at the No. 1 spot, but that was where luck ran out for coach Kenny Doyle's team. Huck and Egan teamed up for an 8-5 win at No. 2 over Zora and Barnhill. At the third spot, Brooks and Kristen Laird outscored Porras and Joanna Corkhern, 8-3, to decide the day's outcome.
EIU Women 4, TTU Women 3
1 pm ... Sunday, March 21, 2010
Danville (Ill.) Indoor Tennis Club
1. Leydi Zora (TTU) def. Amanda Dibbs (EIU) - 7-5, 6-3
2. Diana Woodcock (TTU) def. Shannon Brooks (EIU) - 7-5, 7-5
3. Cara Huck (EIU) def. Frederike Kahl (TTU) - 6-2, 6-4
4. Merritt Whitley (EIU) def. Laura Porras (TTU) - 6-4, 0-6, 7-6
5. Victoria Cran (TTU) def. Juliana Frey (EIU) - 6-2, 6-3
6. Annie Egan (EIU) def. Katie Barnhill (TTU) - 6-1, 6-3
1. Kahl/Cran (TTU) def. Dibbs/Whitley (EIU) - 8-6
2. Huck/Egan (EIU) def. Zora/Barnhill (TTU) - 8-5
3. Brooks/Kristen Laird (EIU) def. Porras/Joanna Corkhern (TTU) - 8-3