Women's tennis team gets season underway with 5-2 setback at MTSU
NASHVILLE, Tenn. --The Tennessee Tech women's tennis team
rallied from a 3-0 deficit with back-to-back victories in the No. 1
and No. 5 singles matches, but that was the end of the line as
Middle Tennessee players walked off the court in the final two
events of the day for a 5-2 non-conference victory at Nashboro
Village Sunday afternoon. It was the first dual match of the season
for Tech (0-1) and first-year coach Dan Silverstein, while MTSU
improved to 2-0.
The Blue Raiders began the match with a sweep of doubles play, winning all three matches with the same 8-2 score.
The first two singles points to be determined went to MTSU for a 3-0 match lead. Blue Raider freshman Taylor Coffey put Middle Tennessee up 2-0 with her 6-2, 6-3 win over freshman Tatiana Denzhkina at No. 4 singles, and junior Natalie Araya defeated freshman Laura Porras, 6-3, 6-3, to give the Blue Raiders a 3-0 lead.
Golden Eagle sophomore Kelly Holtzhausen closed the gap with her No. 1 win over Marietta Bigus, 6-2, 6-4. Shortly afterward, Tech freshman Alena Krutkina defeated Anna Djananova, 6-2, 6-0, to pull the Golden Eagkes to within one point at 3-2.
In the end, the Blue Raiders' experience proved to be the differes as MTSU seniors Andrea Herrera and Marlene Chemin each won their matches to seal the win, but not without a couple of fight from Tech's players. Both wins were in three sets. Herrera top Katie Barnhill, 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 6-3 at No. 2 to clinch the match. Chemin earned the insurance point with a 0-6, 6-2, 6-2 win over sophomore Diana Woodcock.
Tech will host Arkansas-Little Rock next Saturday (Feb. 7) at 10 a.m.
1. Kelly Holtzhausen (TTU) def. Marietta Bigus (MT) 6-2, 6-4
2. Andrea Herrera (MT) def. Katie Barnhill (TTU) 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 6-3
3. Natalie Araya (MT) def. Laura Porras (TTU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Taylor Coffey (MT) def. Tatiana Denzhkina (TTU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Alena Krutkina (TTU) def. Anna Djananova (MT) 6-2, 6-0
6. Marlene Chemin (MT) def. Diana Woodcock (TTU) 0-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Natalie Araya/Marietta Bigus (MT) def. Katie Barnhill/Kelly Holtzhausen (TTU) 8-2
2. Taylor Coffey/Marlene Chemin (MT) def. Alena Krutkina/Tatiana Denzhkina (TTU) 8-2
3. Anna Djananova/Alex Dachos (MT) def. Diana Woodcock/Joanna Corkern (TTU) 8-2
Tennessee Tech 0-1
Middle Tennessee 2-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,3,1,5,2,6)