JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - Just two days after trounching Tennessee
State in their OVC finale, the Tennessee Tech women's tennis
traveled to ETSU for its regular season finale where the Golden
Eagles fell to an inspired Lady Bucs team, 7-0. It was Senior Day
for ETSU, and the home team used that momemtum to claim the
shutout, but the score didn't deter Tech head coach Dan
"We needed a tough match like this to get us ready for the OVC Tournament," Silverstein said. "We got a tough draw in the tournament, and playing a team like ETSU today can help us in preparing for the conference."
The Lady Bucs got on the scoreboard early, taking all three of the doubles matches by indentical scores of 8-4.
Singles play did not fare much better for the Golden Eagles as ETSU swept through the lineup. Sophomore OVC Player of the Year candidate Kelly Holtzhausen lost only her second match of the spring, falling to 123rd ranked Evgenia Stupak, 6-2, 6-2.
Tech (7-9, 6-3) will return to the court this weekend when they begin their quest for the OVC Tournament title in Paducah, Ky., and a possible berth into the NCAA Tournament. The Golden Eagles finished in a tie for third place in the regular season standings and will be seeded fifth. Tech will face Jacksonville State in the first round Friday for the second straight year. In 2008, Tech defeated the Gamecocks, 4-2, to advance to the semifinals.
East Tennessee State 7, Tennessee Tech 0
1. ETSU Stupak/Jaime d. TTU Hotzhausen/Barnhill 8-4
2. ETSU Byrne/Kedzo d. TTU Corken/Yartseva 8-4
3. ETSU Sheets/Voinea d. TTU Porras/Woodcock 8-4
1. ETSU Stupak d. TTU Hortzhausen 6-2, 6-2
2. ETSU Byrne d. TTU Barnhill 1-0, Ret.
3. ETSU Kedzo d. TTU Porras 7-6, 6-2
4. ETSU Jaime d. TTU Yartseva 6-0, 6-0
5. ETSU Sheets d. TTU Corken 6-2, 6-0
6. ETSU Trotter d. TTU Woodcock 6-1, 6-3
Buddy Hartsell Tennis Center