Golden Eagles shut door on longest road trip of year with scoreless draw at Austin Peay

Golden Eagles shut door on longest road trip of year with scoreless draw at Austin Peay

By Dylan Vazzano, Sports Information Coordinator

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. – For the second time in the last three matches, the Tennessee Tech soccer team checked the tie column as the Golden Eagles and Austin Peay played to a scoreless draw Sunday afternoon through 110 minutes in Clarksville. TTU (6-5-3, 2-1-2) ends its three-match road trip, the longest in two years, with two deadlocks and a loss as Tech will now set its sights on three of the final five regular season tilts in Cookeville.

Sophomore Kari Naerdemann collected seven saves, the Herne, Germany native's third highest output of the season en route to her sixth shutout of the year and 13th of her two-year career. APSU junior goalkeeper Lindsey Todd thwarted off four Tech shots to help lay some of the ground work in what was TTU's first scoreless knot of the year.  

"It was just an OVC battle with two teams that find themselves in the upper half of the conference, going out there trying to find a way to get a win," TTU head coach Steve Springthorpe said on the afternoon's outcome. "I thought it was just a pretty even match. We both had a decent chance or two and both defended pretty well. In the end it was a deserved tie."

The Golden Eagles came out scorching in the tilt's early stages, peppering three shots and a corner in the match's first 11 minutes. Overall, Tech ended the first stanza with four shots, one better than the Governors (8-4-2, 3-0-2), who put all three of their attempts on-goal. TTU's first-half blanking made it 13 of 14 affairs this season in which the Golden Eagles have shut out an opponent in the first period.

Austin Peay would go on to outshoot Tech, 8-2, following intermission, including 3-0 in the pair of extra sessions. Not only did the Golden Eagle defense fend off all three APSU overtime shots, two of which required saves from Kari Naerdemann, but Tech also stood strong through the Govs' three corner kicks taken in both overtimes.

Austin Peay junior Kristin Robertson led the match with four shots, three of which were on-goal. Freshman Nora Viscek paced Tech with two shots, one of which was on-point.

Six Golden Eagles played at least 100 minutes, with a quartet of Tech players going the distance as Kari Naerdemann, Abi Gearing, Lauren Brewer and Mary Francis Hoots all registered 110 minutes on the pitch. Overall, 18 different Golden Eagles appeared in the match, giving an effort that didn't go unnoticed from their head coach.

"I was pleased with our team's effort in playing another overtime match on the road, and am proud of our players with what they gave to the program and the way they represented the university. We will get a day or two of rest and get ready for our first home match this upcoming Friday."

With three of the final five regular season matches at home, TTU will begin the stretch with an Oct. 14 meeting with Southeast Missouri. First kick at Tech Soccer Field will begin at 3 p.m. CT. 


Photo by Jim Dillon