By Layne Weitzel, TTU Sports Information
JACKSONVILLE, Ala. – Tennessee Tech will split its time between road and home this coming week, wrapping up a three-game road trip.
Tech tips off at Jacksonville State on Thursday, Feb. 8 in its third Education Day game at 11:30 a.m. CT and will return home to Cookeville for its Think Pink game with Belmont on Saturday, Feb. 10 at 5:30 p.m. CT.
- Play4Kay – Fans are encouraged to wear pink in honor of cancer awareness. The team will also wear special pink uniforms and shoes.
- 2016-17 record: 13-15, 6-10 Ohio Valley Conference (finished 10th in the regular season)
- Notables: Jacksonville State has already surpassed its overall and conference win totals from last season and sits in a three-way tie for third in the OVC, but the Gamecocks have done it all without a single player scoring in double-figures (both overall and in conference play). JSU is the only OVC program to lack a double-figure scorer. Rayven Pearson leads the team in all games with 8.8 points, and Taylor Hawks leads in conference games with 9.8 points… Jacksonville State's leading 3-point shooter, Gretchen Morrison, is just 12 away from 200 3-pointers in her career. She ranks sixth in the conference with an average of 2.2 per game, although she was held without one on Saturday against SIUE.
Belmont Bruins (22-3, 12-0 OVC)
- 2016-17 record: 27-6, 16-0 Ohio Valley Conference (won the regular-season title; defeated 7-seed Eastern Kentucky 94-64 in the tournament championship)
- Notables: Belmont sits just outside the latest Associated Press poll top-25 rankings, which were released Monday afternoon. The Bruins have gradually climbed up the poll and most recently earned 28 votes, which marks the second-most they've received in program history. Belmont is also the second-highest ranked mid-major behind No. 20 Green Bay… At the end of January, the National Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame named Belmont junior Darby Maggard as one of 10 finalists for the Ann Meyers Drysdale Award, which honors the top shooting guard in NCAA Division I women's college basketball. Maggard ranks 16th nationally in 3-point field goals per game and ninth in assist/turnover ratio.