SEMO finishes strong to claim 56-41 OVC road win over Tech

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. - The Southeast Missouri women's basketball team used an 8-0 run midway through the second half to break open a tight game, then outscored Tennessee Tech 21-4 over a 12-minute span on the way to grabbing a 56-41 Ohio Valley Conference road win over the Golden Eagles Saturday night in Eblen Center. The win snapped a four-game losing streak by the Redhawks (5-8/1-2 OVC), and extended their conference road win streak to 14 straight games. Tech (3-10/1-1 OVC) lost its fourth straight.

SEMO, picked for a third-place finish in the 2009 OVC race, held Tech to 33 percent shooting for the game (16-for-48), including 3-for-13 from long range. The Redhawks also outscored Tech 17-6 at the free throw line.

Tech has just one day to prepare for its next game as league-leading Eastern Illinois visits Monday night. The EIU Panthers hammered Jacksonville State Saturday in Alabama, and bring a 3-0 conference record to town.

Crysta Glenn led all scorers with 15 points, going 4-for-6 from the field and 6-for-6 at the free throw line. Tarina Nixon (10) and Lauren Sharpe (11) also notched double figures for SEM). Sonya Daugherty narrowly missed a double-double for the Redhawks, posting nine points and grabbing 12 rebounds,

Junior Vivian Nwosu was Tech's top scorer with 12 points, while Jasmine White also flirted with a double-double, finishing with 11 points and eight rebounds.

After trading jabs for the first 11 minutes, SEMO trailed 11-10. The Redhawks put together an 8-0 run, keyed by back-to-back 3-pointers from Nixon and Glenn, to move on top, 18-11 with 6:55 remaining. A free throw by White a minute-and-a-half later halted the streak and Nwosu's basket made it 18-14 with 4:20 to play. The Redhawks outscored Tech 9-5 down the stretch to head to intermission with a 27-19 lead.

The Golden Eagles opened the second half with a 12-2 run, with Bowens knocking down a couple of 3-pointers. When Krystal Stirrup hit a basket at the 15:12 mark, the Golden Eagles had taken a 31-29 lead. The Redhawks misfired on their first six shots of the second half, before Daugherty made a layup to tie things at 31-31.

Once again, the visitors use back-to-back bombs to start an 8-0 run, breaking a 35-all tie to build a 43-35 lead with 9:19 remaining. It was more than two minutes later before Tech got two free throws by White to stop the run, but Tech only managed four more points the rest of the way.