COOKEVILLE, Tenn. -- After potsponing its last series due to wintery conditions, the Tennessee Tech softball team returns to action this weekend for its second Ohio Valley Conference series this season. The Golden Eagles will play in Richmond, Ky. Friday and Saturday. The doubleheader on Friday and the single game Saturday will all begin 1 PM CDT.
Tech has dropped four-straight all by an average of less than two runs.
The Golden Eagles are batting .272 on the season, led by a group of three batters hitting .300 or better. Senior Melody Christian leads the way with a .388 average, 12 RBI, 19 runs and 11 stolen bases. Rightfielder Madison Taylor boasts a .353 average with a team-best .402 on-base percentage. Infielder Hannah Eldridge has driven in nine runs and tallied a team-leading six extra base hits, including one home run.
Four pitchers are splitting time in the circle for Tech. The group has combined for a 3.59 ERA and 73 strikeouts. Sophomore Taylor Ketchum (7-5) has strukout 47 batters in 75 innings, including nine complete games and a save. Erica Tuck (0-4) has retired 16 batters in 40 innings while Claudia Harke has notched two wins.
Eastern Kentucky: Tech leads the series, 50-28, Tech swept the two-game series last season in Cookeville, with Tech winning 3-2 and 10-2.
- Tech is 11-13 overall this season after dropping four-straight.
- As a team, Tech is hitting .272, posting 92 runs scored, 78 rbi and a .339 on-base percentage through 24 games.
- The Golden Eagle pitching staff combines for a 3.59 ERA, allowing 80 earned runs in 156.0 innings pitched.
- Senior Melody Christian opened the season on a tear, connecting for at least one hit in her first 11 games of the season.
- Two players have scored double-figure runs for the Golden Eagles, including Christian, with a team high 19 runs and is the teams stolen bases leader.
- Christian is third in the OVC with 11 stolen bases on 12 attempts.
- Freshman Madison Taylor has a .353 batting average, collecting a multiple career-firsts during the opening weekend, including her three hits, four putouts, and 2 rbi.
- Three Golden Eagles have recorded triples, including newcomer Chelsea Burgess.
- Three Golden Eagles have hit Home Runs (B. Spalding, Taylor, Eldridge)
- Ketchum was named adidas® Ohio Valley Conference Pitcher of the Week. Ketchum gave up just two hits in 10 innings of work.
- In a trip to the sunshine state, Tech ended the Under Armour Showcase 3-2, with key wins over Maine, LIU Brooklyn and Providence.
- Tech finished the Purple and Gold Challenge 0-1, losing it's only contest to IPFW 8-0.
- Tech posted a 2-2 record at the KSU Classic. The Golden Eagles opened the tournament sweeping its first two games with wins over Liberty (8 innings) and Mercer.
- The Golden Eagles finished the Eagle Round Robin hosted by Georgia Southern with a 2-2 record. The weekend was highlighted by a 3-1 victory over Akron as sophomore Taylor Ketchum threw a one-hitter Feb. 10.
- First year head coach Bonnie Bynum picked up her first win at Tennessee Tech after the team downed St. John's, 4-3. The Golden Eagles defeated St. John's thanks to a walk-off single by senior Chanelle Spalding, marking the first win against the Red Storm in program history and the first road victory of the 2013 season.