March 23, 2013
Softball looks to get back to winning ways Sunday vs. APSU
COOKEVILLE, Tenn. -- The Golden Eagle softball team is in a
rut, but return to the dirt Sunday ready to get back to winning
ways. Tech hosts OVC opponent Austin Peay in a doubleheader
beginning at noon.
Tech has dropped four-straight, all by an average of less than
The Golden Eagles are batting .272
on the season, led by a group of three batters hitting .300 or
better. Senior Melody
Christian leads the way with a .388 average, 12 RBI, 19 runs
and 11 stolen bases. Rightfielder Madison
Taylor boasts a .353 average with a team-best .402 on-base
percentage. Infielder Hannah
Eldridge has driven in nine runs and tallied a team-leading six
extra base hits, including one home run.
Four pitchers are splitting time in the circle for Tech.
The group has combined for a 3.59 ERA and 73 strikeouts. Sophomore
Ketchum (7-5) has strukout 47 batters in 75 innings, including
nine complete games and a save. Erica Tuck
(0-4) has retired 16 batters in 40 innings while Claudia
Harke has notched two wins.
Austin Peay: 66-17, Tech
swept the three-game series last season and haven't lost to the
Lady Govs since 2003. The Golden Eagles won last years games in
Clarksville 3-1, 6-5 and 5-3.
- Tech is 11-13 overall after dropping four-straight.
- As a team, Tech is hitting .272, posting 92 runs scored, 78 rbi
and a .339 on-base percentage through 24 games.
- The Golden Eagle pitching staff combines for a 3.59 ERA,
allowing 80 earned runs in 156.0 innings pitched.
- Senior Melody
Christian opened the season on a tear, connecting for at
least one hit in her first 11 games of the season.
- Two players have scored double-figure runs for the Golden
Eagles, including Christian, with a team high 19 runs and is
the teams stolen bases leader.
- Christian is third in the OVC with 11 stolen bases on 12
- Freshman Madison
Taylor has a .353 batting average, collecting a multiple
career-firsts during the opening weekend, including her three hits,
four putouts, and 2 rbi.
- Three Golden Eagles have recorded triples, including
- Three Golden Eagles have hit Home Runs (B. Spalding, Taylor,
- Ketchum was named adidas® Ohio Valley Conference Pitcher of
the Week. Ketchum gave up just two hits in 10 innings of work.
- In a trip to the sunshine state, Tech ended the Under Armour
Showcase 3-2, with key wins over Maine, LIU Brooklyn and
- Tech finished the Purple and Gold Challenge 0-1, losing it's
only contest to IPFW 8-0.
- Tech posted a 2-2 record at the KSU Classic. The Golden Eagles
opened the tournament sweeping its first two games with wins over
Liberty (8 innings) and Mercer.
- The Golden Eagles finished the Eagle Round Robin hosted by
Georgia Southern with a 2-2 record. The weekend was highlighted by
a 3-1 victory over Akron as sophomore Taylor
Ketchum threw a one-hitter Feb. 10.
- First year head coach Bonnie Bynum picked up her first win at
Tennessee Tech after the team downed St. John's, 4-3. The
Golden Eagles defeated St. John's thanks to a walk-off single by
Spalding, marking the first win against the Red Storm in
program history and the first road victory of the 2013 season.