Tech men start postseason with sixth-place finish at OVC Championship; Boit makes All-OVC first team
Oct 28, 2017
By Layne Weitzel, TTU Sports Information
CHARLESTON, Ill. – Tennessee Tech men's cross country began its postseason at the OVC Championship on Saturday morning, enduring cold conditions at host Eastern Illinois' Panther Trail Course.
Tech scored 166 points to finish sixth in the men's 8k competition.
FINAL TEAM STANDINGS
1. Eastern Kentucky (36 points) – No. 5 in the USTFCCCA Southeast Region
2. Morehead State (59 points) – No. 12 in the Southeast Region
3. Belmont (94 points) – No. 8 in the South Region
4. Eastern Illinois (102 points)
5. UT Martin (116 points) – No. 14 in the South Region
6. TENNESSEE TECH (166 points) – No. 15 in the South Region
7. Austin Peay (187 points)
8. Murray State (227 points)
9. SIUE (243 points)
10. Southeast Missouri (261 points)
11. Jacksonville State (351 points)
12. Tennessee State (382 points)
OVC Men's Athlete of the Year Gilbert Boit paced Tech, placing sixth with a time of 24:24.9. His finish earned him a spot on the All-OVC first team, his second such honor of his career. Brannon Cheplak followed in 22nd at 25:11.3.
Tech will have the opportunity to qualify individual runners for the NCAA Championship at the NCAA South Regional on Saturday, Nov. 11. The South Regional will be hosted in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, by the University of Alabama.