By Dylan Vazzano, TTU Sports Information Coordinator
KENLAKE, Ky. – A jolt at the bottom of the lineup was ultimately not enough for the Tennessee Tech tennis team in its neutral site matchup with Abilene Christian.
Despite wins in the No. 4 and No. 5 spots in the singles order, the Golden Eagles (0-5) were downed, 4-2, in a match that featured only singles action.
Sophomore Marc Mila soared past Henry Adams with a 6-1, 6-1 win out of the No. 4 position, while freshman Gonzalo Garcia tallied his second singles victory of the spring with a 6-4, 1-6, 6-1 triumph over Hunter Holman out of the No. 5 slot.
The Wildcats (5-5) took care of business at the front of the lineup, behind wins in the top three matchups. Josh Sheehy handed Eduardo Mena a 6-2, 6-4 loss out of the No. 1 spot, while Jonathan Sheehy rallied to take down Wenceslao Albin, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 in the No. 2 matchup. Nikolas Moceanu completed the trio of front-loaded wins with a 6-3, 6-7, 6-3 nod against Jorge Alfonzo in the No. 3 battle.
Paul Michael Domanski was responsible for the final ACU point, thanks to a 6-4, 1-6, 6-2 victory over Arthur Justo in the No. 6 position.
TTU will now prepare for its second-straight weekend with just one affair, as the Golden Eagles will be at UNC Asheville Sunday, Feb. 4. First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m. CT.
- Josh Sheehy (ACU) def. Eduardo Mena (TTU), 6-2, 6-4
- Jonathan Sheehy (ACU) def. Wenceslao Albin (TTU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Nikolas Moceanu (ACU) def. Jorge Alfonzo (TTU), 6-3, 6-7, 6-3
- Marc Mila (TTU) def. Henry Adams (ACU), 6-1, 6-1
- Gonzalo Garcia (TTU) def. Hunter Holman (ACU), 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
- Paul Michael Domanski (ACU) def. Arthur Justo (TTU), 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
Photo by Tony Marable