By Dylan Vazzano, TTU Sports Information Coordinator
DES MOINES, Iowa – The Tennessee Tech tennis team secured a lid on its weekend trip up north with a 4-0 loss at the hands of Western Michigan.
Three singles bouts did not complete, including No. 28 Eduardo Mena's top-spot showdown with No. 65 Maik Steiner. Jorge Alfonzo and Jannik Optiz did not finish their matchup in the No. 3 slot, a similar fate for Arthur Justo and Matej Svjetlicic out of the No. 6 position.
The Broncos (4-1) seized all three doubles battles en route to clinching the doubles point to take an early edge in the match. Malik Steiner and Jannik Optiz took down Marc Mila and Arthur Justo, 6-2, in the top spot. Nick Shnobel and Eric Olivarez slipped by Jorge Alfonzo and Wenceslao Albin, 7-5 (7-2), in the No. 2 slot and Kennosuke Nouchi and Billy Heckman topped Eduardo Mena and Gonzalo Garcia, 6-4, out of the No. 3 position.
Trailing 1-0, the Golden Eagles (0-4) were unable to scratch across a point in singles action with losses in all three singles bouts that completed. Western Michigan's Nick Schnobel started the trio of tilts with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Marc Mila in the No. 4 spot. Kennosuke Nouchi followed suit with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Wenceslao Albin, before Eric Olivarez paced the Broncos the finish line with a 6-3, 6-2 nod against Gonzalo Garcia to clinch the match.
Following Tech's busy weekend in Des Moines, the Golden Eagles will now set their sights on a neutral-site meeting with Abilene Christian on Saturday, Jan. 27. Action from Kenlake, Ky. is slated to begin at 11 a.m. CT.
1. #28 Eduardo Mena (TTU) vs. #65 Maik Steiner (WMU) no result
2. Kennosuke Nouchi (WMU) def. Wenceslao Albin (TTU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Jorge Alfonzo (TTU) vs. Jannik Opitz (WMU) no result
4. Nick Schnobel (WMU) def. Marc Mila (TTU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Eric Olivarez (WMU) def. Gonzalo Garcia (TTU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Arthur Justo (TTU) vs. Matej Svjetlicic (WMU) no result
1. Maik Steiner/Jannik Opitz (WMU) def. Marc Mila/Arthur Justo (TTU) 6-2
2. Nick Schnobel/Eric Olivarez (WMU) def. Jorge Alfonzo/Wenceslao Albin (TTU) 7-6 (7-2)
3. Kennosuke Nouchi/Billy Heckman (WMU) def. Eduardo Mena/Gonzalo Garcia (TTU) 6-4
Photo by Thomas Corhern, TTU Sports Information