MARIETTA, Ga. -- Tennessee Tech dropped the first of its two matches in Georgia with a 5-2 loss at Kennesaw State on Sunday at Fair Oaks Park in Marietta.
The Owls (5-5) gained the momentum early by winning the doubles point following wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. The duo of Simon Pritchard and Louis Theodor posted an 8-3 win at No. 2 over Vasily Eremeev and Artem Tarasov. Kennesaw clinched the doubles point when David Durham and Alex Pena teamed to record an 8-6 victory over Gagan Jain and Alvaro Cintas at No. 3.
Durham got Kennesaw State off to a good start in singles play, recording a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 5 singles over Jain, and Maksim Torsh followed with a 7-6, 6-2 victory at the No. 3 position over Eremeev, giving the Owls a 3-0 lead. Theodor then clinched the win with a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles over Cintas.
Tech snared points in the top two singles spots. Oleksiy Arovin outlasted Pritchard, 7-6 (10), 6-3 at No. 1, while Alberto Esteban claimed a marathon victory at No. 2 over Jorge Wilton, 7-5, 3-6, 13-11.
Pena scored the final point for the Owls as he defeated Gonzalo Munoz, 7-5, 6-2, at No. 6 singles.
The Golden Eagles wrap up their journey to the Peach State Monday with a match at Georgia Gwinnett College, currently ranked No. 4 in NCAA Division II.
Tennis Match Results
Tennessee Tech vs Kennesaw State
Mar 9, 2014 at Marietta, Ga. (Fair Oaks Park)
Kennesaw State 5, Tennessee Tech 2
1. Oleksiy Arovin (TTU) def. Simon Pritchard (KSU) 7-6 (10-0), 6-3
2. Alberto Esteban (TTU) def. Jorge Wilton (KSU) 7-5, 3-6, 13-11
3. Maksim Yorsh (KSU) def. Vasily Eremeev (TTU) 7-6, 6-2
4. Louis Theodor (KSU) def. Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 6-2, 6-1
5. David Durham (KSU) def. Gagan Jain (TTU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Alex Pena (KSU) def. Gonzalo Munoz (TTU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Simon Pritchard/Louis Theodor (KSU) def. Vasily Eremeev/Artem Tarasov (TTU) 8-3
3. David Durham/Alex Pena (KSU) def. Gagan Jain/Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 8-6
Match Notes: Tennessee Tech 1-7 Kennesaw State 5-5