By Rob Schabert, Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Infortmation
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee Tech tennis coach Kenny Doyle felt his team was improving over the first six weeks of the season, but until Friday night the Golden Eagles had only come close to grabing a victory.
This time, the Golden Eagles got to taste success and make a mark in the win column with a 4-3 non-conference victory over Lipscomb at the Richland Country Club.
The Golden Eagles won the doubles point when Oleksiy Arovin and Alberto Esteban (photo above) outlasted Stuart Tierney and Miguel Cortez, 8-6, in the No. 1 position. The Golden Eagles already had the No. 3 spot by default, while on the No. 2 court Vasily Eremeev and Artem Tarasov posted an 8-5 win over Rob Mitchell and Daniel Hernandez.
So, it came down to Tech needing a split of the six singles events, and that's exactly what the Golden Eagles did. With a win by default at No. 6 in the books, Arovin claimed a straight set victory at No. 1, and Gagan Jain did the same at the No. 5 position for the vicrtory. Arovin beat Tierney, 6-2, and Jain claimed a 6-4, 6-1 win over Nacor Ibanez.
Lipscomb captured the other three singles points. Mitchell posted a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Estaban at No. 2, Cortez defeated Eremeev, 6-2, 5-7, 7-6(5) at No. 3, and Hernandez won by a 7-6 (4), 6-1 decision over ALvaro Cintas at No. 4.
The next action for the Golden Eagles is Sunday, March 9, with a match at Kennesaw State. Tech plays on Monday, March 10, at Georgia Gwinnett College to wrap up non-conference play.
1. Arovin/ Esteban (TTU) def. Tierney / Cortez (LU) 8-6
2. Eremeev/Tarasov (TTU) def. Hernandez/ Mitchell (LU) 8-5
3. Cintas/ Jain (TTU) won by default.
1. Oleksiy Arovin (TTU) def. Stuart Tierney (LU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Rob Mitchell (LU) def. Alberto Esteban (TTU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Miguel Cortez (LU) def. Vasily Eremeev (TTU) 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 (5)
4. Daniel Hernandez (LU) def. Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 7-6(4), 6-1
5. Gagan Jain (TTU) def. Nacor Ibanez (LU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Artem Tarasov (TTU) won by default.