Paducah, Ky. - The Tennessee Tech tennis team's season came to a close as they fell to the fifth seeded Belmont 4-2 in the Ohio Valley Conference tournament semifinals. The Golden Eagles were on a nine-match winning streak entering the weekend.
Tech finishes the season with a 9-10 overall record, and went 9-0 in regular-season conference play. Belmont improves to 9-13, and faces Austin Peay in the OVC Tournament Championship on Sunday.
The Golden Eagles found themselves in a position they haven't been all conference season: down a point after doubles play. The first off the courts were junior Vasilly Eremeev and sophomore Artem Tarasov after they were defeated by the Bruin duo of Fernando Musilini and Navarro Ves, 8-5 in the No. 2 spot. The doubles point was decided in the No. 3 spot after Tech freshman Alvaro Cintas and Othon Lima lost, 8-5, to Bruno Silva and Henrik Claesson. The No. 1 spot went unfinished since the doubles point was determined.
Tech fell into a 2-0 hole after Fernando Mussolini defeated Artem Tarasov, 6-0, 6-2, in straight sets at the No. 3 spot in singles play. In the No. 1 spot, senior Syrym Abdukhalikov put the Golden Eagles on the board after beating Renato Antun in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2.
Eremeev tied things up 2-2 when he knotched the victory over Silva in the No. 3 spot, 6-1, 7-6. TTU went on lose the No. 6 and No. 2 spots as Veys defeated Lima in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, and Augusto lost to Norbiato 7-6, 6-3. With the match decided, the No. 5 spot went unfinished.
Tennis Match Results
Belmont vs Tennessee Tech
Apr 20, 2013 at Paducah, Ky.
(Heflin Tennis Center)
Belmont 4, Tennessee Tech 2
1. Syrym Abdukhalikov (TTU) def. Renato Antun (BEL) 6-2, 6-2
2. Henrique Norbiato (BEL) def. Alejandro Augusto (TTU) 7-6, 6-3
3. Fernando Mussolini (BEL) def. Artem Tarasov (TTU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Vasily Eremeev (TTU) def. Bruno Silva (BEL) 6-1, 7-6
5. Alvaro Cintas (TTU) vs. Henrik Claesson (BEL) unfinished
6. Navarro Veys (BEL) def. Othon Lima (TTU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Syrym Abdukhalikov/Alejandro Augusto (TTU) vs. Renato Antun/Henrique Norbiato (BEL) unfinished
2. Fernando Mussolini/Navarro Veys (BEL) def. Artem Tarasov/Vasily Eremeev (TTU) 8-5
3. Bruno Silva/Henrik Claesson (BEL) def. Alvaro Cintas/Othon Lima (TTU) 8-5
Tennessee Tech 9-10
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,1,4,6,2)