BOONE, N.C. - Tennessee Tech captured the doubles point and two top singles positions, but Appalachian State swept the bottom four singles spots to claim a 4-3 victory over the Golden Eagles Sunday afternoon at the Deer Valley Racquet Club.
Senior Syrym Abdukhalikov and sophomore Alejandro Augusto each won twice during the match, pairing up for an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles, then posting straight set wins in singles play. Tech clinched the doubles point for a 1-0 lead when Artem Tarasov (in photo) and Vasily Eremeev teamed up to claim an 8-6 win at the No. 2 doubles position.
Abdukhalikov remained unbeaten during spring action with a 5-0 singles record when he outlasted Sebastian King, 7-6, 6-4, at No. 1 singles. Augusto, likewise, won in straight sets with a 6-2, 6-5 victory over Zach Bost.
But the Mountaineers were able to post their first victory of the season by claiming the remaining four singles points, all in straight sets.
Tech, 0-7, faces its toughest obstacle yet on Sunday when the Golden Eagles play at No. 1 Mississippi State at 5 p.m.
1. Syrym Abdukhalikov (TTU) def. (APP) 7-6, 6-4
2. Alejandro Augusto (TTU) def. Zach Bost (APP) 6-2, 6-5
3. (APP) def. Artem Tarasov (TTU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Jen-Willem Kleynhan (APP) def. Vasily Eremeev (TTU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Matt Saltgaver (APP) def. Arturo Santa Ruiz (TTU) 6-2, 6-2
6. (APP) def. Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Addukhalikov - Augusto (TTU) def. Bost - (APP) 8-3
2. Tarasov - Eremeev (TTU) def. Karendel - (APP) 8-6
3. - Kleynhans (APP) def. Cintas - Santa Ruiz (TTU) 8-3