Chattanooga edges Golden Eagle tennis squad, 4-3
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- Chattanooga clinched Sunday's tennis match against Tennessee Tech by building a 4-0 lead before the Golden Eagles captured the final three contests of the day for a 4-3 final score.
The win gave the Mocs a 1-1 record while the Golden Eagles dual match mark slipped to 0-3. Tech will play Monday morning at No. 60 Georgia State in Atlanta. The match is scheduled to start at 8 a.m. CT.
Vasily Eremeev and Artem Tarasov (in photo) earned an 8-4 win in their No. 2 doubles spot, but the Mocs captured the other two doubles matches for a 1-0 lead.
Manuel Barroetavena got things rolling in singles play for UTC, grabbing a 6-2, 6-0 win over Tarasov at No. 3. The Mocs moved ahead 3-0 when Jackson Tresnan defeated Othon Lima, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 6. The clincher came at No. 5 singles when Luke Saunders posted a 6-3, 6-3 win over Alvaro Cintas.
Eremeev outlasted Pavels Grigorjevs in three sets, 2-6, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 4 singles for Tech's first point. The top two singles spots also went to Tech. At No. 2, Syrym Abdukhalikov won in straight sets over Chris Smith, 6-3, 6-3, while at the No. 1 spot, Alejandro Augusto won a 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 marathon over Roberto Viera.
(Hixson Racquet Club)
Chattanooga 4, Tennessee Tech 3
1. Alejandro Augusto (TTU) def. Roberto Vieira (UTC) 6-3,
2. Syrym Abdukhalikov (TTU) def. Chris Smith (UTC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) def. Artem Tarasov (TTU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Vasily Eremeev (TTU) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Luke Saunders (UTC) def. Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Othon Lima (TTU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Chris Smith/Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Syrym
Abdukhalikov/Alejandro Augusto (TTU) 8-1
2. Vasily Eremeev/Artem Tarasov (TTU) def. Ankit Chopra/Luke Saunders (UTC) 8-4
3. John Peacey/Stephen Crofford (UTC) def. Othon Lima/Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 8-5
Tennessee Tech 0-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,6,5,4,2,1) T-2:53 A-35