Golden Eagles topped by Oklahoma State in Knoxville
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Oklahoma State swept the Tennessee Tech tennis team Saturday evening in Knoxville, 4-0. After falling short against 19th-ranked Tennessee on Thursday, coach Kenny Doyle's team met the same fate againt the Cowboys.
Oklahoma State (1-1) marched out to a solid start when the duo of Richard Del Nunzio and Denys Pume defeated Tech's Vasily Eremeev and Artem Tarasov, 8-1, in th No. 2 doubles match. Oleksiy Arovin and Brady Bohrnstedt finished off the doubles point for the Cowboys after powering through Othon Lima and Alvaro Cintas, 8-1, in the No. 3 spot. Up in the No. 1 position, Syrym Abdukhalikov and Alejandro Augusto owned a 4-3 lead over Rifat Biktyakov and Matt Campbell when their match was suspended.
Bohrnstedt and Pume both collected their first-career singles victories as a member of the OSU family after defeating each of their opponents in straight sets. Bohrnstedt downed Cintas, 6-1, 6-0, at No 5, while Pume claimed a 6-2, 6-2 win over Eremeev at No 3.
Trevor Horstmann also won his first match of the year with a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Lima in the No. 6 position.
Abdukhalikov, Augusto and Tarasov had each of their matches cut short as the Cowboys wrapped up the overall victory after Pume's win. All three were waging solid battles, with Augusto into a third set after splitting the first two.
The Golden Eagles have two more matches scheduled on their current road swing, playing at Chattanooga Sunday morning and at No. 60 Georgia State in Atlanta on Monday. Both contests have first serve set for 9 a.m. ET.
Oklahoma State 4, Tennessee Tech 0
- Syrym Abdukhalikov (TTU) vs. Rifat Biktyakov (OSU) 7-6, 1-4 unf.
- Alejandro Augusto (TTU) vs. Chris Haworth (OSU) 2-6, 6-1, 2-1, unf.
- Denys Pume (OSU) def. Vasily Eremeev (TTU) 6-2, 6-2
- Artem Tarasov (TTU) vs. Oleksiy Arovin (OSU) 3-6, 3-5 unf.
- Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) def. Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 6-1, 6-0
- Trevor Horstmann (OSU) def. Othon Lima (TTU) 6-4, 6-0
- Syrym Abdukhalikov/Alejandro Augusto (TTU) vs. Rifat Biktyakov/Matt Campbell (OSU) 3-4, unf.
- Richard Del Nunzio/Denys Pume (OSU) def. Vasily Eremeev/Artem Tarasov (TTU) 8-2
- Oleksiy Arovin/Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) def. Othon Lima/Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,3,6)