Tech sweeps singles matches for 6-0 OVC victory over EIU Panthers
DANVILLE, Ill. -- Rainy weather forced Tennessee Tech and
Eastern Illinois indoors Sunday for their Ohio Valley Conference
match, where the Golden Eagles claimed all six singles points and
ended the contest early with a 6-0 victory over the Panthers.
Tech earned straight-set wins at four of the six positions, although three of those victories had some drama. At No. 1, Alex Chen got the key points in downing Jeff Rutherford, 7-6, 7-6. At No. 2, Josh Girling needed a 7-5 win in the second set over Warren Rice after winning handily in the first set, 6-2.
It was the opposite story at No. 3, where Nick Stafford won the first set by a 7-5 margin over Jamie Firth, then cruised to a 6-1 win in the second. Lloyd Harris at No. 6 (shown in photo) had the only "breather" with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Matyas Hilgert.
Tech's wins at Nos. 4 and 5 both went to the third set. In the
fourth position, Arturo Santa got the best of Justin Haag, 7-5,
6-7, 6-3. Oscar Pachon won his No. 5 contest over Michael Sperry,
4-6, 6-4, 6-4.
The win sets up a showdown with preseason favorite Eastern Illinois in a week. Tech visits the EKU next Sunday, March 28.
TTU Men 6, EIU Men 0
10 am ... Sunday, March 21, 2010
Danville (Ill.) Indoor Tennis Club
1. Alex Chen (TTU) def. Jeff Rutherford (EIU) - 7-6, 7-6
2. Josh Girling (TTU) def. Warren Race (EIU) - 6-2, 7-5
3. Nick Stafford (TTU) def. Jamie Firth (EIU) - 7-5, 6-1
4. Arturo Santa (TTU) def. Justin Haag (EIU) - 7-5, 6-7, 6-3
5. Oscar Pachon (TTU) def. Michael Sperry (EIU) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Lloyd Harris (TTU) def. Matyas Hilgert (EIU) - 6-3, 6-4
No doubles played